Carousel Theatre welcomes applications for the position of General Manager.
Carousel Theatre for Young People is an award-winning Theatre for Young Audiences company located on Granville Island in Vancouver, BC. Each season more than 35 000 young people and their families benefit from Carousel Theatre’s distinctive programming. Under the vision of Artistic & Managing Director Carole Higgins, Carousel Theatre produces a Mainstage Season of Literary Classics, a Teen Shakespeare Program, and a year-round Theatre School for Young People. Carousel Theatre plays a unique role in the theatre ecology of our community, and is the only theatre company in BC that produces a fully professional season of Mainstage programming especially for young people. The company maintains a sound financial position and is entering an exciting period of artistic and administrative growth.
The General Manager works in tandem with Artistic Director, both of whom report directly to the Board of Directors.
Principal duties include:
- Supporting the Artistic Director’s vision and the plans of the organization by securing the necessary resources (finances, human resources, equipment)
- Hiring and supervising administrative staff and performing the responsibilities of HR management.
- Creation of annual operating and long term budgets and management, control and reporting to the Board of Directors on the current financial position of the company.
- Preparation of principal operating and other grants and supervision and/or preparation of other corporate, foundation, cultivation of individual donors and other fundraising requests and activity.
- Assisting the board through timely reports, attendance at board meetings, creation of policies and procedures for Board review, and other assistance.
- Representing Carousel Theatre in local, provincial and national community events and meetings.
- All other management duties to ensure the on-going operating objectives of the organization.
Applicants should have a minimum five years experience as an administrator, preferably in the arts, or the equivalent of experience and education. Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheets and email programs is a requirement, as are strong written and verbal communications and experience in HR management. Assets include experience with the Canadian Theatre Agreement, contracting, grant writing skills, writing policy, and the ability to juggle multiple tasks without missing deadlines. Familiarity with Theatre Manager software, Simply Accounting and/or Adobe Creative Suite is also an asset. A sense of humour and playfulness is most definitely an asset.
Salary: commensurate with experience. Please include salary expectations in application package.
Start Date: On or about October 22, 2012 or as mutually agreed.
Applications will be accepted until September 10th and can be mailed or delivered in confidence to:
Carousel Theatre for Young People
1411 Cartwright Street
Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org